Wednesday 24 April 2019

Deleting Multiple Tables from your Database using Terminal

Here's a really simple way fo getting all your Database table and deleting them, without having to write and scripts.

I'm using Terminal on a Mac here and I've SSH'd into the server. And then accessed my database so I can type in my queries directly .

What you want to do here is write a 'DROP TABLE' command that will include all of your tables.
Like

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS A,B,C;

To get a full list of all of your tables you can use.

SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES WHERE TABLE_TYPE='BASE TABLE';

Using this list I've copy and pasted this into a text editor. You'll need one the has a decent copy and paste facility.

You'll get something like

| table_one |
| table_two |


Replace
"|"
for
","

And then Replace
" ,"
for
""

AND then replace the first "," for "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS "

And the last "," for ';"

You can now copy and paste this into terminal.

No comments: